Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Forecast - FO or Frog?

I'm not sure if I have finished my Japel Forecast from Knitty, worked in Crystal Palace Bunny Hop, Teal Lake color. The sweater feels quite snuggly, but the fit is not what I was hoping it would be. I'm a little tired of this project and don't much relish frogging the sleeves, but think that might be in order. Maybe I'll put it off until autumn, when it is much more likely I'll be wearing cardigans again.

Bunny Hop was nice to knit up as it was soft and springy. The bobbles and cables have a nice contrast and body to them. However, there is no stiffness to the final product which, in retrospect, I see was part of why the pattern works so well in wool. It might have worked better too if I did a gauge swatch (which, by the way, you should do in garter stitch worked with purls not knits if you have different tensions with those stitches).

The body of the sweater is fine, but the sleeves don't work well. I did the usual modifications of the pattern (thank you Winnie), and thought doing 3-stitch rather than 5-stitch bobbles would lessen the enormous arm effect. Alas, these arms are baggy and bulky. Maybe I should have paid more attention to Winnie and separated for the sleeves as called for in the pattern. Instead I knit a further 1.5 inches because the bust was much too tight.

Not only are the sleeves big enough for Atlas, they suffer the added problem of being too short. The pattern allowed for dpns in the round for the sleeves, or knitting flat. I chose knitting flat. Now and then I pinned the arms closed to see about length. I thought I got it right, but the arms are much too short.

Oh how I wish this were done so that I could move on to my next Japel project, the cable-down raglan from Interweave Knits, Spring 2007. The Knit Picks Swish DK in cornflower has arrived and wants to be on the needles.

No comments: